[Call for Applications] PhD or Postdoctoral Position (Social Sciences and Eastern European Studies)
The newly established Chair of Social Sciences and Eastern European Studies at the Department of Sociology (Faculty of Social Sciences) at LMU Munich offers as soon as possible a PhD or Postdoctoral Position (TV-L E13 100%).
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität (LMU) Munich enjoys a centuries-old tradition and today is one of the most internationally renowned and strongest research universities in Germany. The Chair of Social Sciences and Eastern European Studies at the Department of Sociology (Faculty of Social Sciences) focuses on the theory driven empirical research on political, economic and social processes in Eastern Europe (especially in Russia and in the post-Soviet Eurasia). Key research areas include stability and change in authoritarian systems of Eurasia (in particular the impact of bureaucracy and of economic actors) and influence of historical legacies on the contemporary social and political developments in Eurasia and Eastern Europe.
• Independent development and implementation of research projects within the key research areas of the Chair, including presentation of research output at international conferences and publication in international peer-reviewed journals.
• Participation in the joint research projects of the Chair.
• Teaching (5 academic hours per week during the semester in case of a 100% employment).
• Applicants without PhD are explicitly encouraged and supported to pursue the doctoral studies.
• Excellent university degree (MA, MSc or comparable) in a field of social sciences (sociology, political science, economics) or an excellent PhD degree in social sciences, political science or economics.
• Good basic knowledge of empirical quantitative methods and interest in empirical large-N research.
• Excellent command of English; good knowledge of a language of the post-Soviet Eurasia (preferably Russian).
• Interest in research projects focusing on Eastern Europe and post-Soviet Eurasia.
Part-time employment is basically possible. This is a fixed-term position. The successful candidate will first be appointed for a period until March 31, 2017. This appointment is expected to be prolonged for the overall period of three years.
Please send us your complete application befor 25.10.2016, preferably via e-mail and in PDF format, to Alexander Libman.