— Professor of Social Sciences and Eastern European Studies (LMU Munich)
Main Research Areas
- Informal power relations and bureaucracy in post-Soviet authoritarian regimes
- Historical legacies and political developments of the post-Soviet Eurasia
- Sub-national political regimes and regional politics in Russia
- Regional organizations and intergovernmental cooperation in the post-Soviet Eurasia
Born in Moscow. PhD at the University of Mannheim in 2009. 2009-2014 Junior Professor of International Political Economy at the Frankfurt School of Finance & Management. 2013-2014 Visiting Research Fellow at the University Rochester (Skalny Center for Polish and Central European Studies). 2014-2016 Research Associate of the German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP), Research Division Eastern Europe and Eurasia. Since 2016 Professor of sociological East European Studies at the LMU Munich.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal "Post-Communist Economies"
Positions, Assignments and Memberships
- Principal Investigator of the Graduate School for East and Southeast European Studies
- Associated Researcher of the Center for Russian Studies oft he East China Normal University, Shanghai
- Associated Research Fellow of the International Center for the Study of Institutions and Development (ICSID) of the National Research University Higher School of Economics, Moscow
- Member of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Osteuropakunde (DGO)
- Gordon Tullock Prize of the Public Choice Society for the Best Paper in Public Choice by a Junior Scholar (2016)
- Ovsievich Memorial Prize in Quantitative Economic Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences (2012)
- Knut Wicksell Prize of the European Public Choice Society (2010)